About Fab Lab Adelaide
“A Fab Lab (fabrication laboratory) is a fully kitted fabrication workshop which gives everyone in the community, from small children through to entrepreneurs and businesses, the capability to turn their ideas and concepts into reality.” (Neil Gershenfeld, MIT)
Fab Lab Adelaide is a not-for-profit community workshop in which new products and creative works can be designed and made using digital fabrication equipment including several 3D printers and a laser cutter.
The Lab supports South Australian inventors, designers, artists, and other creative and entrepreneurial individuals and businesses through the provision of free and low cost access to equipment and expertise.
The Fab Lab concept was originated by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and there are now around 135 around the world. Fab Lab Adelaide is the first Australian-based participant in the international MIT Fab Lab network.
The Lab offers classes, workshops, open access drop-in sessions and tuition on how to use the equipment. It also offers services for businesses including professional development, machine hire, and design, prototyping and fabrication services. Find out how to use the Lab here.
What can I make at Fab Lab Adelaide?
Our machines are capable of a range of applications, from basic prototyping through to creating finished works. But to give you some inspiration, here are a few ideas:
- Small businesses can learn about and develop skills in prototyping and small-scale manufacturing
- Inventors and hobbyists can connect with like-minded people and see their ideas turned into tangible objects
- Artists can broaden and enhance their practice using our tools, and even create finished artworks using our laser cutter.
- Designers can use our 3D printers for basic rapid prototyping
- Students can learn about 3D design, 3D printing and other digital fabrication processes
Whether a home project, educational task, artistic creation or commercial product, the Fab Lab mission is to empower people to make their ideas a reality!